Monday, March 2

Dinner Solutions ~ Chicken

We started doing this to save a ton of money on buying chicken. I saw this article (here) @ $5 Dinners. We have been buying the Foster Farms split chicken breasts and just splitting them and freezing them. I read the article and am super excited to have more of a variety in getting the most out of the chicken.

For example: We paid $4.26 for 4.39 pounds of Split chicken breasts w/ ribs. (like what she talks about in the article). This will get us at least 2 meals, if not more. Since it is Foster Farms, there are no hormones, no added salt or preservatives and grown in California.

I am so encouraged to make a monthly schedule (I usually do weekly) as she has pictured, but here's what I plan to do with the chicken I am thawing. I will split it and probably will make homemade broth as she suggests! So much cheaper and better than store bought (again, as she states). Since each breast is so big, I will use half of it to make Chicken Marsala this week (my aunt is coming to town tomorrow!) and the other half for another meal this week, to be decided.

I have been cooking 2-3 chicken breasts in the crockpot to have shredded chicken on-hand for chicken quesadillas, chicken salad, chicken pot pie cassarole bake or anything else that would take shredded chicken. I have been tempted to freeze it, but it tends to get used before I get a chance to do so.

To sum it up, if I can do it, SO CAN YOU! I, once a chicken breast only snob lol, have been transformed into a frugal cook. =) Now if I could get the hang of beef cuts! Sigh. One lesson at a time.

1 comment:

Hailey said...

What a great idea. I can't wait to see your monthly menu as well!